October 13, 2012 – By: Victor Medina
As of October 12, President Barack Obama follows over 670,000 people on Twitter, an astounding number to say the least. Many of these are the people you expect: his wife, Joe Biden, and the official accounts of the various Obama for America state groups.
However, a number of the individuals the President follows on the social media site are dubious, to say the least. They include a self-described porn star, a sex toy vendor, and reality star Spencer Pratt.
While the President has no control over what some of these individuals may say on the social media site, it is important to note that, at some point, either he or someone on his campaign staff added some questionable people to the list.
Among the Twitter users he follows are:
- Spencer Pratt (@spencerpratt), the reality TV star. He does not follow Pratt’s wife, Heidi Montag.
- “Suck Dick Homies” (@missBBE), a self described “Producer, writer, singer, porn star, wife and mother” with a topless photo for her avatar.
- “GettnMoneyAssNigga” (@idgafWhyLye), who says they design clothes.
- “Discreet Adult” (@QueenShun35), whose Twitter description states they offer “Sex Talk, Adult Sex Toys, Adult Chat, Viagra, Cialis, Levitra pharmacy. Ask me about Sex Toys For Adults, Vibrators, Lingerie, Leather, Bondage.”
- “Slappy McF**knuts” (@slappymcf**knut), where the name (which we censored) really says it all.
- “Enraged Asshole” (@maulingmueller), a person whose tweets truly live up to the name.
- Hugh Jackman (@RealHughJackman), the man also known as Wolverine. Most people wouldn’t have a problem with this, as Jackman is a fine actor and seems like a nice guy. However, if checking up on the new X-Men movie is the reason why the leader of the free world doesn’t attend all those national security briefings, that is a problem.
It is unclear if the President himself added these individuals, or a member of the campaign staff. In either case, having the President following individuals of ill repute (excluding Hugh Jackman, of course) on his official Twitter account should raise a red flag somewhere.
For the record, Obama does not follow Mitt Romney or Paul Ryan on Twitter.
Victor Medina writes for Yahoo News and his political blog When Liberals Attack. His other writing credits include The Dallas Morning News and SportsIllustrated.com. He has served as a Dallas County election judge and on the Board of Directors of The Sixth Floor Museum. You can follow him on his blog, VictorMedina.com or on Twitter at @mrvictormedina. To be notified of future stories by Victor Medina, click the SIGN UP or SUBSCRIBE button at the top of this page.