The Canadian porn actor arrested in Germany in connection with the killing, dismembering and mailing of body parts of a Chinese student to Canadian political party headquarters, has no links to a Hollywood Hills body-parts murder case, law enforcement sources told The Times.
A report in the New York Observer suggested a possible link between Luka Magnotta, 29, and the Los Angeles case, which remains unsolved.
Sources familiar with the investigation said Magnotta had not visited the United States in the last two years, according to the sources who spoke with The Times on condition of anonymity.
Dog walkers in Bronson Canyon below the Hollywood sign found a severed head on Jan. 19. A search by authorities also turned up two hands and two feet, which were buried in a shallow grave. LAPD detectives determined that the parts belonged to Hervey Medellin, a 66-year-old former Mexicana Airlines employee.
Medellin lived with another person in a third-floor apartment on DeLongpre Avenue, not far from the hiking trail where his body parts were found.
Sources said the bizarre nature of the case is the only thing comparable to the Canadian dismemberment case.
Police around the world had been hunting for Magnotta since Interpol added him to its wanted list last week.
The grotesque killing is also believed to have been filmed and uploaded to the Internet, which left authorities scrambling to remove the video from the Web.
— Andrew Blankstein (Twitter.com/anblanx)
Photo: Denis Mainville of the Montreal police major crimes unit, speaks to reporters at a Montreal news conference Tuesday about the arrest of Luka Rocco Magnotta in Germany. Credit: Associated Press / Montreal Police Service via The Canadian Press